Enjoy a Seattle to Forks Getaway to the Ocean
Fall is a great time to head out west from Seattle to Forks, Washington and enjoy the natural beauty of the Olympic Peninsula. Located 4 hours west of Seattle is Forks, stunning beaches, and the magnificent Manitou Lodge (just 3 miles from the ocean). Plan to head out early on your departure day from Seattle. Enjoy a lunch stop in Sequim or at Lake Crescent Lodge. Take in a paddle or hike, and then hop back in the car to Forks! You’ll be there in plenty of time to check in, enjoy a great dinner, and perhaps even an ocean sunset.
Follow this helpful Day Trip Guide: Seattle to Forks
Downtown Seattle to Sequim
Estimated Drive: 2 hours
- Drive aboard the Bainbridge Island ferry for a 30-minute crossing to Bainbridge Island.
- Travel north across the Kitsap Peninsula on State Route 3. Turn left on State Route 104 and cross the Hood Canal Bridge. State Route 104 meets Hwy 101 and leads across the Olympic Peninsula, follow signs to Sequim.
- From the Hood Canal, it’s approximately 40 to Sequim, home to shopping, galleries and restaurants, making it a lovely location for lunch if you’ve worked up some hunger on the journey. Sequim is known for its lavender farms and Lavender Festival celebrated the third week of July each year.
- Have time for a hike? Be sure to check out the Dungeness Spit, a 6.8-mile long sand spit – the longest natural sand spit in the United States, located just north of Sequim.
Sequim to Lake Crescent
Estimated Drive: 1 hour
- If there’s time for a quick stop, take a left on Olympic Hot Springs Road just before crossing the Elwha River, and see Madison Falls. It’s an easy walk to magnificent falls.
- Continuing west on U.S. Highway 101, you’ll soon be greeted by the blue waters of Lake Crescent.
- Visit historic Lake Crescent Lodge (open May – New Year’s) or hike to Marymere Falls, it only takes about an hour.
- For lunch, enjoy the lodge’s waterfront dining room, or pack a picnic to enjoy lakeside.
- A visit to Lake Crescent isn’t complete without a quick paddle on the water. Guided scenic tours are available, or rent a kayak, canoe or paddleboard.
Lake Crescent to Manitou Lodge and Forks
Estimated Drive: 1 hour
- Continue west on U.S. Highway 101 for 35 miles. You’ll travel through the northwest corner of Olympic National Forest and cross over the Sol Duc River several times before reaching Forks.
- Turn right onto WA-110 (La Push Road) and continue 7.8 miles down the road to Mora Road and turn right. Just shy of a mile down Mora Road, you’ll see Kilmer Road, which leads you to Manitou Lodge.
- Check In, tour the grounds, take a hike (or a nap!).
- For dinner, head info town and enjoy one of our restaurants, or pick up a picnic to enjoy at the Beach.
- After dinner and before calling it a day, travel just 10 minutes from Manitou Lodge to the renowned Rialto Beach to watch the sunset.
Wake up inspired and allow plenty of time to explore this unique area of the Olympic Peninsula. We’ve filled our blog with lots of things to see and do in the area.
More about Manitou Lodge
Manitou Lodge is located on ten acres of coastal rainforest 3 miles from Rialto Beach, 15 minutes from Forks. At Manitou you’ll feel the warmth and inviting nature of a Pacific Northwest forest lodge – wood, stone, a Great Room with a massive stone fireplace, vaulted ceilings, and fabulous lodging. Nights in our forest are quest except for sounds of the the Sol Duc river and forest wildlife. Stay in a choice of Washington coast lodging including lodge guest rooms, cottage rooms, rustic cabins and camping. Wake up refreshed and ready to explore the amazing Olympic Peninsula. Consider staying 2 or more nights before heading back to Seattle so you can see it all. We look forward to welcoming you in person, check availability and book today!
- The Olympic Adventure Trail – Get Out On the OAT
- Travel The Washington Whale Trail
- Explore the Olympic Discovery Trail
- Drive the Olympic Peninsula Loop
- Manitou Lodge Camping in Forks Washington
- February 2021 (2)
- January 2021 (2)
- December 2020 (2)
- November 2020 (2)
- October 2020 (2)
- September 2020 (2)
- August 2020 (2)
- July 2020 (2)
- June 2020 (2)
- May 2020 (1)
- April 2020 (1)
- March 2020 (2)
- February 2020 (2)
- January 2020 (2)
- December 2019 (2)
- November 2019 (2)
- October 2019 (2)
- September 2019 (2)
- August 2019 (2)
- July 2019 (2)
- June 2019 (2)
- May 2019 (2)
- April 2019 (2)
- February 2017 (2)
- July 2015 (1)
- September 2014 (1)
- May 2014 (1)
- September 2013 (1)
- July 2013 (1)
- May 2013 (2)
- September 2012 (2)
- Attractions (14)
- Forks Washington (5)
- Manitou Lodge Bed and Breakfast (17)
- Olympic National Park (13)
- Olympic Peninsula (4)
- Tourism (2)
- Twilight (2)
- Weather (1)